ATLANTA, GA, February 25, 2014: Open-E, a leading developer of innovative data storage software used for building and managing centralized storage servers, announced today its latest version of Open-E Data Storage Software (DSS) V7 that provides an up to 10X random writes performance improvement over existing volume replication implementations, superior performance with Hyper-V clusters and multi-core CPUs, and expanded support for networking cards and VMware tools. These new capabilities are available immediately at no additional cost to existing customers.
"With over 27,000 installations across more than half the countries in the world, Open-E has a tremendous advantage in customer experience that enables our engineers to tune the Linux-based software to take advantage of the latest features in multi-core processors, virtualization tuning for iSCSI targets, and network cards," said Krzysztof Franek, CEO and president of Open-E. "This engineering insight now implemented in Open-E DSS V7 results in a myriad of newly improved features and performance milestones like advanced system tuning parameters for hardware performance optimization, improved overall performance with multi-core processors and superior performance of up to 10X in random writes of mirrored volumes."
The 10X performance improvement in Open-E DSS V7 Synchronous Volume Replication with Failover feature is a fault tolerance process via iSCSI volume replication that creates mirrored target data volumes. Data is copied in real-time, and every change is immediately mirrored from the primary server to the secondary storage server. In case of a failure, scheduled maintenance of the primary server, or loss of the primary data source, failover automatically switches operations to the secondary storage server, so processes can be continued without interruption. The performance improvement is a significant achievement considering random writes to a volume can result in a large amount of transferred data, even if the actual data changes are small.
The latest release of Open-E DSS V7 continues to provide significant advantages over other competitive offerings including the following enhancements:
• Advanced system tuning parameters network, iSCSI, Volume Replication, NFS, and IPoIB to deliver performance out of the storage system
• Superior stability and performance in Hyper-V Clusters
• Improved overall performance with multi-core CPU optimizing application operation
• Expanded VMware tools for ESXi 5.x (plug-in)
• Added support for Adaptec Series 8 (maxCache Plus caching technology)
• Added tuning tools and support for Mellanox Ethernet cards 40Gbps (mlx4_en, v.2.1) and Mellanox Infiniband cards 40Gbps (mlx4_ib, v.1.0)
• Expanded capability to assign snapshots to logical volumes via API
• Updates for support of Kernel 3.4.69, DRBD version 8.4.3, IRQ-balance version 1.0.7
• Major RAID and NIC drivers and their adaptor configuration tools
"Open-E is unique in providing robust enterprise level data storage functionality, reliability, and performance for applications in high availability, cloud storage, virtualization and business continuity environments at a fraction of the cost of alternative storage solutions," continued Franek. "Open-E DSS V7 enables organizations of all sizes to continue to know that their business critical data can be protected against system failure, cyber-attack, fire, or natural disaster with one low-cost, easy-to-use, high performance solution."