Heads up, technologists — you have only a couple of weeks to submit achievements for review by the Scientific and Technical Awards Committee for the 2018 Oscars.
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS) has identified eight separate areas where it’s investigating inventions and claims of innovation in advance of this year’s awards decisions. If you or your company has been involved in groundbreaking work in any of these categories, now’s the time to let AMPAS know.
- Systems for the creation of motion graphics for motion picture content
- Remote, distributed, secure and collaborative review frameworks of dailies and sequences
- 2D, multi-layer, raster, image editing and digital paint systems used in motion picture production
- Dense-mesh accurate animated facial geometry capture
- Texture layout toolsets
- Efficient, sequence-based paint and rotoscoping toolsets
- Capture of facial appearance for photorealistic rendering
- Lavalier microphones widely used in motion picture production
After investigations are completed, the sci-tech committee will vote this fall on recommendations to the AMPAS Board of Governors, which makes final awards decisions.
To get more information or to submit your own claim to technological fame in one of the areas above, visit the Academy’s website.
The 2018 Scientific and Technical Awards Presentation is scheduled for Saturday, February 9, 2019.