Chaos Group said its line-up of presentations on major movie and streaming projects that used its V-Ray rendering system will include sessions on Marvel Comics properties Black Panther, Avengers: Infinity War, and Deadpool 2 as well as Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, Avengers: Infinity War and Netflix’s Lost in Space.
In addition, Chaos Group founder and CTO Vlado Koylazov will present “Vlado in Renderland,” updating attendees on what’s new in V-Ray R&D.
The company said Fernando Brandao, lighting and look-dev lead for Avengers: Infinity War at Digital Domain, would explain how V-Ray was used alongside proprietary tools to render iconic characters from the Avengers milieu, including Thanos, Red Skull and the Hulk, in an August 15 session titled “Digital Domain: How V-Ray Conquered Avengers: Infinity War.” Later that same day, Ioan Boieriu, a CG supervisor at Scanline VFX in Vancouver, will break down the waterfall fight sequence from Black Panther in “Scanline VFX: The VFX Powering Wakanda’s Warrior Falls.”
All of the sessions take place on Tuesday, August 14, and Wednesday, August 15, in Meeting Room 8 in the Vancouver Convention Centre’s East Building. Chaos Group says they are open to the public, but warned that seating is limited and recording the sessions will not be permitted.
Here’s the complete V-Ray Days Presentation Schedule — along with additional SIGGRAPH presentations — as published this week by Chaos Group:
Tuesday, August 14
- “Ian Spriggs: The New Portrait,” by Ian Spriggs, 3D character artist – 11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- “Method Studios: Blockbuster Showcase” by Chris Ryan, CG supervisor; Jim McVay, lighting supervisor & Christian Emond, CG artist/lighter – 1:15 – 3:00 p.m.
- “FuseFX: Lost in Space – Flying Jellyfish & Alien Landscapes,” by Jon Cowley, senior VFX supervisor/head of production; Richard Greenwood, head of 2D & Mariusz Korczak, CG supervisor – 3:00 – 4:00 p.m.
- “Aaron Sims Creative: Character Design & VFX for the Big Screen & Immersive Theater,” by Michael Pecchia, executive producer & Justin Denton, director – 4:00 – 5:00 p.m.
Wednesday, August 15
- “RealtimeUK: Cinematic Worlds – A Holistic Overview of Creating Game Trailers,” by Stuart Bayley, art director – 10:00 – 11:00 a.m.
- “Digital Domain: How V-Ray Conquered Avengers: Infinity War,” by Fernando Brandao, lighting & look-dev lead – 11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- “Chaos Group: Vlado in Renderland – 2018 Edition,” by Vlado Koylazov, co-founder and head of software development – 2:00 – 3:00 p.m.
- “ILM: Large Natural Environments Using V-Ray,” by Daniel Schmid, generalist supervisor – 3:00 – 4:00 p.m.
- “Scanline VFX: The VFX Powering Wakanda’s Warrior Falls,” by Ioan Boieriu, CG supervisor – 4:00 – 5:00 p.m.
- “Render Legion: Corona Renderer – Past, Present & Future,” by Ondra Karlík, CTO & main developer of Corona Renderer – 5:00 – 6:00 p.m.
Additional SIGGRAPH presentations:
In addition to V-Ray Days, Chaos Group staff and developers are set to present several talks to the SIGGRAPH community, highlighting new developments in V-Ray and Corona.
- “Realistic Rendering in Architecture and Product Visualization,” a panel featuring Jaroslav Křivánek, Ondra Karlík and Vlado Koylazov – August 14, 9:00 a.m. – 12:15 p.m., Ballroom A of the East Building.
- “Chaos Group: V-Ray Educators’ Breakfast,” featuring Albena Ivanova, education specialist & Lyudmil Vanev, CG specialist – August 14, 10:00 – 11:00 a.m., Meeting Room 8 of the East Building.
- “NVIDIA Presents: Exploring Realtime Raytracing with NVIDIA GPUs,” a panel featuring Vlado Koylazov – August 14, 2:00 p.m. – 5:30 p.m., Room 220 of the West Building.
- “Bayesian Online Regression for Adaptive Direct Illumination Sampling,” featuring Petr Vevoda and Jaroslav Křivánek – August 15, 3:45 p.m. – 5:35 p.m., Ballroom C of the West Building.
- “Adaptive Environment Sampling for CPU and GPU,” featuring Asen Atanasov and Jaroslav Křivánek – August 16, 10:45 a.m. – 11:05 a.m., Ballroom A of the East Building.